Thursday, 6 November 2014

'The Crisis Of Self Esteem' // Thursday's Thoughts



I posted a link to this YouTube video on twitter a couple of weeks ago. The video is of TV and radio presenter [and all round awesome woman] Jameela Jamil, speaking at the House of Commons on Body Confidence and what she calls 'the crisis of self esteem'.



I have always loved Jameela and this speech is brilliant as I would have expected. Jameela basically talks about how the media, and social media, continuously measure women's 'worth', as she describes it, by their shape and size and, most importantly, challenges this.

I would just beg you to watch this, whether you agree completely with what Jameela says or not. This video might not be HD, it might only be 8 minutes long, but I think this, and the message that it sends out, is one of the most important of this year. As time goes on, more people seem to be recognising the emphasis the media places on appearance and how people "should" look, but things still need to change. Thank you Jameela for having the balls to say what others don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment